SEOmoz Beginners Guide Ch7 Pt1 Review
From the very beginning search engines have used links as a way of finding and indexing web pages.
They have also used links to measure the authority and popularity of a web page.
What this does is give them a measure of how important one web page is relative to another and that leads to page rank and how a page ends up in the search results.
Links and Link Profile
What you want to do with your website and each one of your web pages is build links going in and going out.
You also want to build links between pages on your web site.
What results is a link profile. That link profile will go a long way in getting your site recognized and ranked in the search engines.
So what are the link signals you need to know about? Here they are listed:
Link Signals – Basic concepts
- Global Popularity – How the website links to other authority sites and how much it is followed by a community.
- Link Relevance – Are the links coming and going relevant to the content on a page?
- Anchor text – Is the text of the links relevant to the content of the page?
- Trust Rank – How close is the web page to other recognized and trusted sites?
- Link Neighborhood – Does the link profile show lots of trusted sites?
- Freshness of links – How recent are the links? Are they fresh or old?
- Social sharing – Is there a lot of social sharing from the major soeial sites- Facebook, twitter, Linkdin,Google + etc.